It is a hot topic and something many of us want to achieve but are not sure how. Amelia shares her 6 simple tips to help support gut health.
- Sit down to eat calmly, slowly and without screens as often as possible – activating the ‘rest and digest nervous system does what it says on the tin.
- Chewing properly. Our stomachs don’t have teeth.
- Try to eat a really wide variety of different foods, especially colourful fruits & vegetables, wholegrains, nuts, seeds and pulses (remember; variety of whole foods = variety of nutrients & variety of fibres to feed our microbiome). Aim for 30+ different plants each week if possible.
- Find a way to move regularly in a way that is joyful and consistent.
- Prioritise active stress management and sleep hygiene strategies – don’t forget that all-important gut-brain connection.
- Consider incorporating some fermented foods into your diet (such as natural yoghurt, kefir, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut etc.). If you’re just starting out with fermented foods, then please go slowly. Too much at once can flare gut symptoms in some people. It’s also worth seeking medical or nutritional advice about the suitability of introducing fermented foods if you have pre-existing digestive issues.
To read more about Amelia’s approach to gut health, and the specific foods that can be great additions to a healthy diet, please click here.